Allan Ricketts is a traditional musician from Torbay, NL. He is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist with his primary instruments being the bouzouki, tenor banjo and accordion. He has performed at many festivals, folk nights, concerts, private functions and enjoys taking part in the traditional Irish sessions in and around the St. John's area.
In December 2006, with the assistance of a Sound Recording Grant presented to him by MusicNL, Allan released his debut CD “Allan Ricketts”, a fine CD of traditional songs, tunes and original compositions produced by Patrick Moran (The Punters / Eight Track Favourites). Along with his debut CD, Allan has performed on other CDs including - “No Place Like Home” by Patrick Moran and Chris Andrews singing “The Hillsides of Torbay” (written by the late Pat Casey of Torbay); compilation CDs, “Our Songs Vol. 3” (Avondale Music) singing “A Great Big Sea” and “Our Songs Vol. 4” (Avondale Music) singing “Trinity Cake”. As well, Allan’s accordion playing can be heard in the song “Stuck in Rewind” by Sherry Ryan, in her CD, “Wonderful Cures” released in December 2007. Allan can also be heard playing pedal steel guitar on Mike Hanrahans latest album, “Freeing Lonesome Tune”.
In August, 2009, Allan released his second solo album, “Rivers”. He released this album with the assistance of MusicNL’s Sound Recording Grant. This album was produced by Kalem Mahoney and featured some of Newfoundland’s finest musicians, including Fergus O’Byrne, Mark Neary, Elliot Dicks, Pamela Morgan, George Morgan, Patrick Moran, Glen Collins, Mike Hanrahan, Duane Andrews, Dave Panting, Scott Hammond and Rob Brown.
While mainly performing as a solo act, Allan can also be heard playing pedal steel guitar with the group, The 8-Track Favorites. The band is made up of the following musicians: Larry Foley (vocals, guitar, mandolin), Maurice Greene (bass, vocals), Allan Ricketts (pedal steel), Adam Staple (drums), Sandy Morris (lead guitar), and Luke Welsh (fiddle).
Allan is also a member of the group, History Hotel. This band consists of Kirk Penney (lead vocals, rhythm guitar, bass) Darrin “Boobie” Brown (bass, guitar, vocals) and Allan Ricketts (steel guitar, vocals)
Recently, Allan has become part of Foleymore Productions, which produces shows around Newfoundland and Labrador.
Memberships / Affiliations:
- Music Newfoundland and Labrador (MusicNL)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Musicians' Assoc. (Local 820, American Federation of Musicians)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society
- Debut self-titled CD, Allan Ricketts, released December 2006 (Allan Ricketts)
- Guest performer on CD, No Place Like Home (Chris Andrews / Patrick Moran)
- Performer on Compilation CDs, Our Songs Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 (Avondale Music)
- Studio musician on Wonderful Cures (Sherry Ryan)
- Studio musician on Freeing Lonesome Tune by Mike Hanrahan Second solo CD, Rivers, released August 2009 (Allan Ricketts) This album has been nominated for MusicNL, ECMA and NL Arts Counsel awards.